Sistas Common Sense Forum

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sistas Helping Sistas

Sista’s Common Sense Corner Store

Navigation

Ad Space for Rent

AD Space Available

Latest topics

» Puttin' You on Blast
Family, Like it or Not EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 1:16 am by CassandraDesiree<3

» Mama Today vs Mama Yesterday
Family, Like it or Not EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 1:06 am by CassandraDesiree<3

» God Grant Me The Strength
Family, Like it or Not EmptySat Aug 21, 2010 11:12 am by Auntie G

» Tough Love vs Life's Lessons
Family, Like it or Not EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 4:02 pm by two sisters

» What's Love Got To Do With It
Family, Like it or Not EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 4:17 am by CassandraDesiree<3

» No Support
Family, Like it or Not EmptyFri Jul 30, 2010 3:43 am by CassandraDesiree<3

» The Power You Give Should Be Your Own
Family, Like it or Not EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 1:53 am by CassandraDesiree<3

» Who's Making Your Decisions
Family, Like it or Not EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 1:41 am by CassandraDesiree<3

» Good Intentions
Family, Like it or Not EmptyWed Jul 21, 2010 1:22 am by CassandraDesiree<3

March 2024

SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates

4 posters

Family, Like it or Not

two sisters
    two sisters
    Admin

Family, Like it or Not Empty Family, Like it or Not

Post  two sisters Mon May 10, 2010 1:01 pm

Under some circumstances we were not able to choose our mothers, fathers, sisters and brothers or even our sons and daughters. Under others they choose us. Either way, sometimes, our people are simply our people, but they are not people we “like”. Habits and personalities belong very much to an individual. They are not part of the family deal. Just because moma and daddy were good and considerate, loving people, doesn’t mean we are, and maybe we are the “good guys” and moma and daddy are just not so cool.

Question:

How do you handle it when your brother, sister, mother, father, son, daughter, aunt, uncle, whoever…..is just not someone you like? Do you stay away completely; do you dread family get togethers? Do you suck it up and grin and bear it for the sake of being “family”?
    missjohnniemae
    missjohnniemae

Family, Like it or Not Empty I can't fake it

Post  missjohnniemae Thu May 13, 2010 8:14 pm

It has really taken me a couple days to think about this one. Why? Because so many times, I have beat myself up because I have wondered how I could not like my own family. I have asked myself how I could have a near hateful ache in my stomach when I see certain members of my very own family. Some of you may be a bit surprised at the harshness of my words but it's the truth of them that should have your attention.
    Are you under the impression that because of relation a person ceases to be who they are? Have you ever heard of uncles that are a little too touchy feely at an age when you really don't understand until later?, or seeing cousins do things that just didn't feel right even way back when you were too young to actually know what it was that they were doing, oh, but now you remember it all and of course they think you've forgotten it all, you were much too young.
    Even up until now seeing people taken advantage of, and used by relatives. They make me sick, most of them do, and no, I don't fake it, maybe they are not exactly sure of why I don't like them, but they do know. They say that I think I'm better than they are. I pray to God everyday that I am.
    Sarah's Daughter
    Sarah's Daughter

Family, Like it or Not Empty What's family got to do with it?

Post  Sarah's Daughter Sun May 16, 2010 7:42 pm

missjohnniemae wrote:It has really taken me a couple days to think about this one. Why? Because so many times, I have beat myself up because I have wondered how I could not like my own family. I have asked myself how I could have a near hateful ache in my stomach when I see certain members of my very own family. Some of you may be a bit surprised at the harshness of my words but it's the truth of them that should have your attention.
    Are you under the impression that because of relation a person ceases to be who they are? Have you ever heard of uncles that are a little too touchy feely at an age when you really don't understand until later?, or seeing cousins do things that just didn't feel right even way back when you were too young to actually know what it was that they were doing, oh, but now you remember it all and of course they think you've forgotten it all, you were much too young.
    Even up until now seeing people taken advantage of, and used by relatives. They make me sick, most of them do, and no, I don't fake it, maybe they are not exactly sure of why I don't like them, but they do know. They say that I think I'm better than they are. I pray to God everyday that I am.

Ooooh, Ms. Johnniemae, you nailed this one! Like you, it took me a while to get my thoughts around this subject. I know in my heart that I'm supposed to act like I like them, but there are some family that I simply loathe! I can't stand to see them coming, and like you, its hard to fake it. I feel like Tina Turner, but instead of saying "what's love got to do with it, I say: What's family got to do with it! So, what -- they are related by blood, but I got some memories that ain't so great, and I have prayed and asked God to help me move on, and I have, but someone, I still remember . . . Yep, there are some demons that come back from time to time, every time I hear their voice, or see their face! They smile at me, and I smile back, but only just seconds enough to cover up the real feelings I have inside of me like scratching their eyeballs out -- that would shock the whole family, if they really knew the truth! They say that time heals all wounds, and I so want to believe this, but some wounds are just too deep, and who really has that much time!
    schoolgirl
    schoolgirl

Family, Like it or Not Empty Re: Family, Like it or Not

Post  schoolgirl Wed May 19, 2010 10:51 pm

I know it's hard to admit, but I believe we all have those in our family that we REALLY don't like. It's sad to say but sometimes we have to deal with them like we do those people that we don't really care for. I don't really know how else to deal with them without hating them with a passion so this is when I really have to ask God to help me, (not that I don't need his help any other time). But dealing with those that you can't stand is a real challenge to say the least.

Sponsored content

Family, Like it or Not Empty Re: Family, Like it or Not

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:22 am