SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Affiliates

Say What???

two sisters
    Admin

Say What???

Post  two sisters on Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:13 pm

Someone very dear to me has a way of making me laugh like no other, even when I’m in a terrible mood, or when I’m frustrated, even if it’s with him. He says things to me that his mother or other family members used to say to him. Things like, “A beat up ride beats a dressed up walk any day…now pimp that”, or he drives up to the McDonalds drive thru and when they ask if they can help him, he says, “Yes, I would like to have two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.” It’s great to laugh, it’s healing.

Question:

No matter what your background, there’s a relative or family friend that has a funny saying, or does something you’ve never seen done or said anywhere else. What’s your funny saying ?
    mygram

My moma use to say

Post  mygram on Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:31 pm

Some things we hear, at the time we really may not understand, but after having children of my own and going through a few trials and tribulations I understand oh so well when my moma who was from Shreveport, Louisiana use to say.....Ya'll make me want to just dig a hole and get in it!
    Sarah's Daughter

Say What? Too Much Sugar For a Dime!

Post  Sarah's Daughter on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:07 am

two sisters wrote:Someone very dear to me has a way of making me laugh like no other, even when I’m in a terrible mood, or when I’m frustrated, even if it’s with him. He says things to me that his mother or other family members used to say to him. Things like, “A beat up ride beats a dressed up walk any day…now pimp that”, or he drives up to the McDonalds drive thru and when they ask if they can help him, he says, “Yes, I would like to have two all beef patties, special sauce, lettuce, cheese, pickles, onions on a sesame seed bun.” It’s great to laugh, it’s healing.

Question:

No matter what your background, there’s a relative or family friend that has a funny saying, or does something you’ve never seen done or said anywhere else. What’s your funny saying ?

I have so much love for those old sayings, those old proverbs cloaked in country down home wisdom haved shaped my life! My friends crack up when they come out from nowhere, and they look at me as if I am speaking a foreign language.

My grandma Humphrey, used to smile at me twisting in the mirror looking at my new clothes and shoes, and exclaim out of nowhere: "Ahhh, thats saying somethin," and "girl, you too much suga' for a dime!" Then she'd wind it up with: "can't hit you in the butt with a big red apple!" I didn't know what it meant then, but it has stuck with me over the years. She is dead and gone on to glory now, but her words left an indelible ink print on my heart. Her words were filled with wisdom, and she had a way of telling you when she thought someone was stupid. She didn't cuss, or I never heard her, but she was known to make up some words that I am sure stood for so much more ...like, "what the hamfack is going on, or confounded!" Lil' Mama, her sister in Newport, Arkansas, would call you a "Cracked brain fool," and was always shelling peas, and peeling something, peaches, apples, or pears with her little pen knife. To her, a syrupy sweet watermelon just picked from the vine, was a "Georgia ham." Papa, my great grandfather on my daddy's side, would call you a "blame doowhopper," and I can only suppose that that was the worse thing you could ever be in his mind. One of my mama's famous sayings, and she is worth her weight in gold to me . . . now, is "if you walk with a cripple, you will learn to limp!" I guess that was her wise way of telling me to only hang with people who were going somewhere in life, and to leave the thugs alone. Grandma B, daddy's mama, always the voice of spiritual guidance and instruction, never let a day go by without saying, "our trials come to make us stronger." I thought to myself that I would throw up, literally, if she said that to me one more time! My reply would be, "all this personal growth is killing me!" Then there was Grandpa Humphrey -- he would then rail back in his chair, pick up his spit cup, after dipping his snuff, and out of nowhere as if he had been having a conversation with you the whole time, he would say: "well, one thang about it, you gon' have your trials, and your tribulations!" And, this I have found over time, has been so very true.

I think my kids will tell you when they have gotten on my last nerves thinking they know so much, I have been known to say: "you ain't got a pot to piss in, or a window to throw it out of! And, my famous of all sayings - "Ahh, I see, you don't believe fat meat is greasy!" When they go on and do the very thing I told them not to do.

I just didn't know then, but I do know now, that life's experiences give us the wisdom and the grace that we need to live by. Education is essential, but wisdom is far better. Nothing could be worse than being and "educated fool!"

The voices in my head, from the people of my past continually speak and remind me of the people that have passed my way. My daddy was too cool, and his famous advice passed on to me on the day I told him I was getting married was profound. He thought he would tell me the secret to staying happily married: "Listen," he began, bending down close to my ear, so I wouldn't miss a word, "All a man really wants is a lady on his arm, and a whore in his bed!" I think no truer words were ever spoken, and took him at his word trying to master both over the years. Then, there was my great uncle Aaron,the black "Humphrey Bogart," whom at the ripe age of 90, I asked him "Unc, how old do you think you have to be before you stop having sex?" He looked at me with that sly, slick grin of his, and winked, "babe, you will have to ask somebody older than me!"

Lord have mercy!
    THIS IS MISS HILL

Good For the Soul Indeed

Post  THIS IS MISS HILL on Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:15 pm

I was talking to a friend a couple nights ago and he said something to me that his mother use to say to him, he said he had once made a comment about a woman being ugly and his mother said to him,"Well honey one things for sure, there's a lid for every pot"
    I thought that was pretty funny not to mention true.
    Auntie G

Old but true

Post  Auntie G on Sun Apr 11, 2010 5:12 pm

My moma use to say, "Every dog has his day", and that, I have found to be true.
    CassandraDesiree<3

Not really a quote but funny to me

Post  CassandraDesiree<3 on Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:58 am

I have a most excellent friend who lives in the U.K and being that we are from different countries we have different sayings. Well as most of you may know people that live over there say "Bloody Hell" however until I was her friend I only heard this on t.v and movies. I never thought is really was used in their every day language. Well we began to talk on Skype and I heard her say it, why I can't remember but I know that I was having a very stressful day that day, and for what ever reason when when she said that the biggest smile came to my face. She says other things that make me smile but that one saying that one day just - well it just help me smile when I felt like I couldn't!
    Also my daughter has her ways of saying things different from me and maybe you. As I say skinny or small she says straight! And no matter what size I am she always says "mommy your straight, it is just some people are more straight then you." But thats one of those Kids say the darn-est things moments! -- Holla I love you

Sponsored content

Re: Say What???

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon Nov 12, 2018 2:37 pm